Application Requirements

Documents may be submitted following the application and fee. All required materials must be received by the appropriate deadline before an admissions decision can be made. Only after you are accepted to MSU Denver will you be sent either the Form I-20 or SEVIS Transfer Form (for F-1 students transferring from another US institution).

You must submit the online application, the $25 application fee and all required documentation by the application deadline for the semester you want to enroll. Please note that your application will not be reviewed until all documents listed below have been submitted. All documents sent to MSU Denver must be in English or include an English language translation. Application materials can be dropped off in person at the Office of Admissions located in the Student Success Building on the Auraria Campus or mailed to:

Metropolitan State University of Denver

International Admissions

Campus Box 16, P.O. Box 173362

Denver, CO 80217

An official secondary (high school) transcript or its equivalent showing your graduation date, sent directly from your high school, if possible. Unless the document is issued in English, both the original language and a certified English translation are required.

This requirement is waived if you transfer 30+ college credits to MSU Denver. You must submit official college transcripts to qualify. Coursework completed outside of the U.S. must be professionally evaluated before being accepted. 

If Applicable, college/university transcripts for transfer credit evaluation.

  • U.S. college/university transcripts must be sent directly to MSU Denver from the issuing institution.
  • Foreign colleges/universities should send transcripts directly to MSU Denver. If this is not possible, students should provide official transcripts in their original language for examination; these will be photocopied and returned. A professional course-by-course translation and evaluation completed by a professional transcript evaluation service is also required.  For more information regarding the transcript evaluation requirement, please visit the Professional Evaluation section of this website.

For students seeking credit in nursing or other medical fields, we recommend getting an evaluation from CGFNS International.

Generally, we will accept evaluations done by:

*When requesting an evaluation from one of the agencies, please choose the Course-by-Course evaluation.

Other agencies may be considered. They should be members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).

TOEFL/IELTS Requirements

International Students must be proficient in English prior to being accepted to Metropolitan State University of Denver.  MSU Denver accpets either TOEFL or IELTS scores as proof of English proficiency.

  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): Obtain a minimum score of 72 on the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) (an equivalent of 533 on the paper-based TOEFL (PBT)). An official score must be sent directly from TOEFL Services; MSU Denver’s institution code is 4505. Scores older than two years are not acceptable.
  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System): Obtain an overall band score of at least 6.5. An official score must be sent directly from the testing company. Scores older than two years old are not acceptable.


Proof of English Proficiency is not required for applicants who:

  • are lifetime residents of Australia, English-speaking Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or the United Kingdom;
  • have completed the highest level of an accredited intensive English language training program (note that you may be required to take our college assessment tests to verify college readiness);
  • have graduated from an American high school that they attended for at least two years (note that you must also submit ACT/SAT scores and may be required to take our college assessment tests to verify college readiness);
  • hold an associate’s degree (AA and AS only) from an American community college;
  • have completed at least 30 semester hours at a U.S. college or university and completed both of the required English composition courses (English 1010 and 1020) with grades of C or better;
  • have passed a U.S. General Education Development (GED) test (note that you may be required to take our college assessment tests to verify college readiness);
  • submit an official SAT Critical Reading score of 440 or higher; or
  • submit an official ACT Reading score of at least 17 and English score of at least 18

Students requesting an I-20 to apply for an F-1 student visa must show that they have enough money to pay for at least the first year of study at MSU Denver.  This includes tuition and fees as well as living expenses for themselves and any dependents. For details regarding estimated cost of attendance, please visit the Cost for International Students section of this website.  The following documents are required before you are accepted to the university and receive an I-20:

  • An original, sealed bank statement showing sufficient liquid assets to cover tuition & fees, books & supplies, room & board, health insurance, transportation, and miscellaneous expenses for one year. The bank statement must be on official bank letterhead, must be dated within the last 6 months, and must show the specific denomination and currency of the available funds. Please visit our website or contact the MSU Denver International Admissions Counselor for the minimum amount that must be documented on the bank statement.
  • The Affidavit of Financial Support form completed by yourself and your financial sponsor.  Please complete all sections and submit the form to the Office of Admissions.

If you will be accompanied by dependents (spouse and/or minor children) who will need to apply for F-2 visas, your financial support documents must show sufficient funds for your spouse and/or minor children, as well. Current expenses are $10,000 for a spouse and $10,000 for each child. You also need to submit copies of their passport identity page that shows their birth date, citizenship and country of birth

Copy of current passport, along with current visa, I-94 and Form I-20, if applicable.

If you will be accompanied by dependents (spouse and/or minor children) who will need to apply for F-2 visas, you will also need to submit copies of their passport identity page(s) that show their birth date, citizenship and country of birth.

Application Deadlines

Application Deadlines for First-Time and Transfer Students
Fall June 1 July 1
Spring Nov. 1 Dec. 1

Edit this page

Connect With Us‌

Facebook Twitter YouTube Flickr